50+… apparently this is the age when you stop trying to figure out life and start negotiating with it.
I honestly thought that by 51 I would have life figured out. Relationships? Sorted. Career? Sorted. Family? Sorted. Health? Sorted. Money? Sorted. Inner peace? Definitely sorted.
Instead, it’s chaos at its best !!! I wake up some mornings thinking, “What the hell is going on?” 
One minute I’m feeling fabulous and ready to conquer the world. Next minute I’m thinking, “Why is it so HOT?!”
And five minutes later… “Damn, it’s cold!”
Then I’m standing in the kitchen with a spoon in my hand wondering why I opened the refrigerator in the first place.
And getting out of bed has become a full systems check. “Neck okay… back questionable… knees negotiating… ankles, let’s not talk about ankles.”
Then I slowly get up like I’m launching a spacecraft. 
And sitting on the floor? Big decision. Because once you’re down, you need a strategy for getting back up. 
Our conversations with friends have also evolved… although not completely. We still talk about good-looking men, Korean dramas, muscles and abs, parties, food and vacations.
We’ve just added some new topics in between.
- “Have you checked your blood markers?”
- “Achha sun, Vitamin D levels are important!”
- “Apne A1C par dhyan dena!”
- “Magnesium yeh wala better absorption hai…”
- “Which collagen are you taking?”
Basically, our WhatsApp conversations are now 50% gossip, 50% medical conference. 
Travel, thankfully, is still very much alive.
I still want the beautiful views, new places, untouched territory, gorgeous beaches, amazing food, saree pictures and the obligatory “OMG, look where I am!” moment. 
And now that we’re empty nesters, my long-term dream of travelling more is finally becoming real. The bucket list is no longer just a list. We’re actually doing it. 
Corporate life has given me another superpower. After enough years, you can sit through a 45-minute discussion about “strategic alignment and transformational synergies” and know that someone simply needs to make a decision.
You also stop being impressed by titles.
Experience teaches you that the loudest person in the room isn’t necessarily the smartest.
And sometimes “Let’s take this offline” simply means “I have no idea what we’re doing.”
But honestly, the biggest changes at 51 aren’t physical. They’re in the way I look at people and relationships.
I think more about the friends who stayed, the ones who quietly drifted away, the relationships I thought would last forever and didn’t, and the people who showed up unexpectedly and became important.
- You realize not everything needs to be fixed.
- Some things need a conversation.
- Some need forgiveness.
- Some need boundaries.
And some just need to be left where they belong… in the past. Because these days, I really don’t have the energy to chase people who don’t value me.
I’d rather use that energy planning my next trip or buying another saree I absolutely did not need.
My daughter is grown. My parents are getting older. My career has evolved. Friendships have evolved.
And suddenly you’re somewhere in the middle—still someone’s daughter, someone’s partner, still a mother, still building your career, still trying to be a good friend… and also trying to remember where you put your glasses. 
But maybe this is also the age when you can finally be a little selfish. Not the bad kind The “let me actually ask myself what I want” kind. The pros and cons list is still there. The trade-offs are still there. But guess who’s finally in the center of the equation? ME.
What a bliss.
For me, it’s travel. Meaningful friendships. Giving back to the community. A beautiful saree. Good food. Completely meaningless conversations when life feels too serious. A ridiculous 80s or 90s Bollywood song that makes me dance in the kitchen. A great cup of herbal tea. My people. Independence. Sitting in my backyard and realizing I don’t need to be productive every damn minute.
And sometimes… doing absolutely nothing. 
I’ve also become much better at saying NO.
And then I don’t spend the next three days preparing a 17-paragraph explanation in my head about why I said no.
That alone deserves a trophy. 

I don’t want to look 30. I’m proud of my age.
But do I want to behave 30 often ?
Absolutely. Maybe even sweet 16. 


Because my heart is still adventurous.
I want to laugh until my stomach hurts. I want to travel. I want to dance even when my knees have submitted a formal complaint. I want to wear the damn saree even if someone thinks it’s “too much.” I want to keep taking ridiculous reels and pictures and then smiling when I see them later.
I want deep friendships, silly conversations, meaningful work and a life that feels like mine.
And somewhere between all the responsibilities, family, career, ageing, hormones, expectations and occasional “why the hell did I walk into this room?” moments…
I’ve realized I actually quite like this woman I’m becoming.
She’s not perfect. She overthinks. She gets emotional. She changes outfits three times before leaving the house. She asks someone else to take 47 pictures to find the one she likes…
but will take only ONE picture of everyone else. 
She’s wiser. Stronger. More grateful. And definitely less impressed by bullshit.
So yes, life after 50+ is a little chaotic.
- My body has terms and conditions.
- My knees have opinions.
- My nest thermostat and I are in a complicated relationship.
- My daughter doesn’t need me the way she once did. My parents need me differently. My career keeps challenging me.
- And my brain occasionally has 47 tabs open with absolutely no idea where the music is coming from.

But I’m here.
Maybe 50+ isn’t the beginning of the end.
Maybe it’s just the age when you finally stop worrying so much about how you’re supposed to live…
and start enjoying the life you actually have.
And if that makes me a little selfish, a little sassy and a lot more unapologetic—which, by the way, has pretty much become my mantra—
I’ll take it.
vI’m becoming more ME.And honestly?I’m loving it.
And today, in my cotton-silk saree at my friend @shipra’s house, admiring our gorgeous host in yellow and all of us laughing together, I had one of those little moments where I thought… haan, life is actually pretty damn good.
A few is us connected last year while dancing together during our SareeSpeak rehearsals and stage performance.
We came together for a dance. Somehow, we stayed for the friendship.
A year later, those friendships have continued, evolved and become part of our lives.
And maybe that’s one of the nicest things about getting older. You stop counting how many people you have around you… the weeds around you just organically dry up 
and you start appreciating who is actually there.
So here’s to 50+.
- To the people who stayed.
- To the friendships that grew.
- To the adventures still waiting.
- To the sarees, the dancing, the laughter, the travel, the madness…
- and to being unapologetically ourselves.
- Cheers to this crazy, wonderful chapter.
- Still figuring it out.
- Still having fun.
- Still a little crazy.



No comments:
Post a Comment